- John BAKER, Sir Dowel and the Green Knight: Dream(y) Visions in Passus 9 and The Merchant's Tale, Florida International University.
- Elaine Tuttle HANSEN, From Chaucer and the Fictions of Gender, Chapter 9: The Merchant's Tale, or Another Poor Worm, University of California, 1992.
- George Lyman KITTREDGE, Chaucer's Discussion of Marriage, Harvard University.
- Roger A. LADD, The mercantile (mis)reader in The Canterbury Tales, University of North Carolina Press, 2002.
- Frederick MARTIN, The Myth of Eden, Bakhtinian Carnival, and Chaucer's Merchant's Tale
- Richard NEUSE, From Chaucer's Dante: Allegory and Epic Theater in The Canterbury Tales, Chapter 8: The Merchant's Tale:
Allegory in the Mirror of Marriage, University of California Press, 1991.
- Joseph D. PARRY, Interpreting female agency and responsibility in The Miller's Tale and The Merchant's Tale
, University of Iowa, 2001.
- Christian SHERIDAN, May in the Marketplace: Commodification and Textuality in The Merchant's Tale, University of North Carolina Press, 2005.
- R. A. SHOAF, The Merchant and the Parody of Creation, University of Florida.
- Guinevere SHAW, Parody and Satire in The Miller's and Merchant's Tale
- Stephanie A. TOLLIVER, January's Misogynist Merchant: The Theme of Sight in Chaucer's Merchant and The Merchant's Tale, Luminarium, 2001.