- Lourdes ACOSTA, Character Analysis of the Monk, 1998
- Christopher DAVIS & Crystal WILSON, Torture as a theme in The Monk's Tale, 1999.
- Curtis GRUENLER, Desire, Violence and the Passion in Fragment VII of The Canterbury Tales: A Girardian Reading, Essays on Values in Literature, 1999.
- Richard NEUSE, From Chaucer's Dante: Allegory and Epic Theater in The Canterbury Tales, Chapter 5: Chaucerian Intertextuality:
The Monk's Tale and the Inferno, University of California Press, 1991.
- Scott NORSWORTHY, Hard lords and bad food-service in The Monk's Tale, University of Illinois Press, 2001.