- Peter G. BEIDLER, Teaching Chaucer as Drama: The Garden Scene in The Shipman's Tale, Exemplaria, 1996.
- Skylar H. BURRIS, Smart Sailor or Seditious Smuggler? The Shipman in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, 1994
- Curtis GRUENLER, Desire, Violence and the Passion in Fragment VII of The Canterbury Tales: A Girardian Reading, Essays on Values in Literature, 1999.
- Roger A. LADD, The mercantile (mis)reader in The Canterbury Tales, University of North Carolina Press, 2002.
- Frederick MARTIN, Elements of Schismatic Heresy in the Performances of the Physician, Pardoner, and Shipman
- Timothy D. O'BRIEN, Seductive Violence and Three Chaucerian Women, College Literature, 2001. (Also on Seductive Violence and Three Chaucerian Women, Find Articles, 2001.)
- Albert H. SILVERMAN, Sex and Money in Chaucer's Shipman's Tale, Tulane University, From Philological Quarterly, XXXII (July 1953), pp. 329-36.